Thursday, February 25, 2010

Avec: Post-opera Dinner

I attended the Lyric Opera last night. The 7:30pm opera ended at 10:15pm and busy schedules did not permit a pre-opera dinner. In anticipation of this, I searched for post-opera dinner options that met the following criteria: 1) kitchen is open until at least 11pm on a weekday and 2) it would be acceptable to arrive dressed to the nines (because that's how we roll).

Sepia was recommended as a post-theatre option but the kitchen is only open until 9:30pm on weekdays.

I decided on Avec, one of my favorite spots around town. The kitchen is open until midnight on weeknights. The menu is inspired and the energy is unrivaled. Yes, there is a long wait most nights but you can enjoy a bottle of wine off the great wine list while you wait. I love the communal tables and crowded feel. And the food is fantastic.

In post-opera bliss, we arrived at Avec at 11pm on a Wednesday. There were still a fair number of diners but it was not crowded or loud. We could actually have a conversation!

We were promptly seated and orders were taken. I had the crostinis topped with roasted leek puree (absolutely amazing) and, my usual favorite, the focaccia with taleggio, truffle oils, and fresh herbs. And of course great wine.

My companion was extremely pleased with the popular bacon wrapped, chorizo-stuffed Medjool dates and the Avec chowder with bacon, channa dal, fluke, and P.E.I. mussels.

As usual, the food was fantastic and exciting. The service was not rushed even though we arrived relatively late. Overall I found Avec to be a good post-opera option for a weeknight.

Any other recommendations for post-opera dining?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...