Saturday, February 27, 2010

RW Day 7: Dinner at Blackbird

My last RW meal was dinner at Blackbird. I cannot imagine ending on a higher note.

When I found out that Blackbird was offering the RW menu for dinner (in addition to the already publicized lunch menu), I was ecstatic. Unfortunately so was everyone else. I was only able to get a weekend reservation at the bar. But I was so excited to eat at Blackbird that I didn't mind.

We arrived a few minutes early for our 8:30pm reservations. We were seated within a few minutes. The hostess gave me a special contraption to hook my purse onto the bar stool. It was awesome. This is the attention to detail that puts Blackbird a step above the rest.

The bartender was wonderful. Not only did he make delicious cocktails but he was passionate and knowledgeable about food. Below is a description of my meal.

To drink: hibiscus kiss... vodka/ hibiscus syrup/ st. germain/ lemon
Refreshing, not overly sweet. Beautifully crafted.

To start: salad of endives and baby lettuce with poached egg, basil, dijon served in a nest of crispy potato
Excellent presentation. Server thoughtfully cut the nest tableside and mixed yolk into the salad. Potato crisps added a nice texture. Well balanced fat, acidity, salt, and texture.

To satisfy: sweet potato agnolotti with saffron ricotta, crispy kale, and spicy peanuts
Heavenly. This dish wins the award for my favorite RW dish. Hands down. Saffron ricotta was light and airy with incredible flavor. The agnolotti was perfectly cooked. The crispy kale was a lovely surprise. It added texture and was generously salted, which nicely cut the sweetness of the sweet potato agnolotti. Initially I was so intrigued by the crispy kale that I completely ignored the agnolotti. The spicy peanuts were a nice touch. Absolutely wonderful dish. I was ridiculously happy.

To finish: manjari chocolate pave with tonka bean ice cream and candied cocoa nibs
Seriously dense flourless chocolate cake. The candied cocoa nibs added a nice crunch to the smooth, intense chocolate pave. The tonka bean ice cream was the perfect complement to the rich chocolate. Terrific.

Service was friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable. This was one of the best RW meals I've had.

Chef Paul Kahan, I think I love you. In the last week I have dined at Publican, Avec, and Blackbird. You never disappoint. Seriously, I could not be any happier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...