Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dulce de leche Brownies


Oh, dulce de leche how I love you. I usually don't like super sweet desserts but anything incorporating dulce de leche is an exception. That's why ever since I bookmarked David Levobitz's dulce de leche brownies I have searched for an excuse to make them. Seriously, how could you go wrong combining dulce de leche, pecans, and chocolaty goodness? Although his recipe calls for brownies made from scratch, I opted to use Ghirardelli's oh-so-heavenly double chocolate brownie mix. Terribly un-foodie of me, I know. But I did have fun making homemade dulce de leche. 

I know most people make dulce de leche by boiling a sealed can of sweetened condensed milk in water. But fear of the can exploding and making a giant mess in my kitchen is a bit too much for me. Instead I made the dulce de leche in the oven using a water bath and it turned out delicious. Be careful... I managed to get a pretty nasty burn on my hand in the process.

Dulce de leche
Preheat oven to 425. Pour one 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk in a pie pan with a pinch of sea salt. Place pie pan in a large roasting pan, add hot water until reaches halfway up the side of the pie pan. Cover pie pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hr 15 min. Check occasionally and add more hot water to roasting pan as necessary. Remove from oven and uncover. The dulce de leche will be thick and light caramel colored. Cool and whisk until smooth.


Dulce de leche Brownies
I box Ghirardelli's double chocolate brownie mix
1 cup toasted chopped pecans, cooled
1 cup dulce de leche

Cover 8" baking pan with aluminum foil. Butter bottom and sides of pan. Follow instructions on the box to prepare brownie batter. Mix in nuts.


Pour half of the batter into the pan. Spread 1/3 of the dulce de leche evenly onto the batter, swirling lightly with a knife. Top with remaining batter. Place dollops of dulce de leche on top. Again swirl with a knife.


Bake for 40 min (or as directed by box). Remove from oven and cool completely. Cut into 2" squares. The brownies are super fudgy so I ran the knife blade under hot water between each cut. It worked pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 10, 2012

    Sounds delicious! I can't wait to try them...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...