Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pan-fried Bruschetta

I watched Julie & Julia the other day and the pan-fried bruschetta scene made my mouth water. If you haven't seen the movie, trust me, the scene will make your mouth water too. I know tomatoes are not in season right now, but I just couldn't wait until the summer!


Bruschetta


1 vine ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
7 basil leaves
1 clove of garlic
good olive oil
sea salt
fresh ground pepper
crusty rustic baguette, cut diagonally into four 3/4" thick slices (Avoid bread with large holes as it won't hold the bruschetta)

In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Rub bread with garlic. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fry in skillet until golden brown. Turn and fry on other side, adding 1 tbsp olive oil if needed.


Meanwhile seed and chop the tomatoes. Stack the basil leaves in a uniform pile. Roll tightly from long edge downward. Chop into thin rounds. Separate basil pieces and combine with tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil. Set aside and let marinate.

Season tomato basil mixture with salt and pepper shortly before serving. Salt will allow the tomato to release its juice so season within half an hour of serving. Spoon the mixture onto the bread. Let sit for five minutes to let the juices soak into the bread. Enjoy!

Serves 2.


Fried Bruschetta on Foodista

5 comments:

  1. I cannot control my Pavlovian reaction. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the movie and that scene was so DELICIOUS. That's exactly why I am looking for a recipe! Can't wait to try it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But doesn't she fry them breads in butter ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You knew exactly what I was looking for! You had me at Julie and Julia, and yes, that scene does make your mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is like a food I'd eat during my solitary go-to-home-make-lunch-eat-lunch-and-back-to-work lunch. Just eating this overlooking the sunny clear sky. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...