Sunday, March 21, 2010

Caipirinhas + Guacamole

I am absolutely convinced that caipirinhas and guacamole make for a *perfect* girls night. Caipirinhas are a seductive Brazilian drink made from cachaça, a liquor derived from sugar cane. Less sweet than a mojito, but equally refreshing, caipirinhas have that magical ability to take me to a far away place where I can dream again. And when made right, guacamole is just awesome.


Growing up in Texas, guacamole and queso were a staple at every gathering from football games to birthdays. And by queso I mean the kind that's made in a crock pot from Velveeta and a can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilis. OK... I'll admit that I was raised on Velveeta and orange cheddar. And that sometimes I crave queso around Superbowl time. And, embarrassingly enough, I didn't know cheddar was naturally white until I moved to Boston and my roommate bought Cabot extra sharp cheddar that wasn't orange. But I redeemed myself when I had my first bite of manchego, which I like to call a gateway drug to artisanal cheese. Anyway, I digress.

Back to guacamole. It makes me sad when guac doesn't have enough lime or salt (or enough jalapeño, but let's start with the basics). There have been a number of times when I've gone out for Mexican in Chicago and had to strongly fight the urge to ask for extra limes to try to fix the mush of avocado sitting in front of me falsely claiming to be guacamole. I say no one should have to eat sad guac! Here is my recipe for (IMHO) the best guacamole ever.

Guacamole
2 large ripe Haas avocados, halved and pitted
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 large yellow onion, diced
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp sea salt

In bowl, combine onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Using the back of a spoon, slightly grind ingredients to release flavors. Add tomato. Scoop inside of avocado with spoon and add to bowl. Squeeze lime juice over avocado and season with sea salt. Mash with a fork until combined but still slightly chunky. Can add 1/2 tsp ground cumin if desired. Dig in with tortilla chips!

Caipirinhas
1 juicy lime, cut into eight wedges (halved, then quartered)
1 tsp sugar (the regular kind is best for muddling)
1 jigger (1.5 oz) cachaça
ice, smashed

Sprinkle sugar over limes in mixer.  Muddle until lime juice is released. Fill 3/4 of a glass with smashed ice and add cachaça. Pour contents of mixer into glass. Stir well. Enjoy!

Cheers to new beginnings and new dreams 

1 comment:

  1. I am also utterly convinced that caipirinhas + guac are the *perfect* combo. Salt/lime/spice/booze/repeat :-D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...