Thursday, March 4, 2010

Leek Crostini

Ever since I had leek crostinis at Avec, I have been wanting to recreate the deliciousness. I've never cooked leeks before, but when I saw a beautiful leek at the store, I couldn't resist any longer. Below is my version of leek crostinis... I'm pretty happy with the result.


Leek Crostini

1 leek
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1.5 tbsp butter, unsalted
sea salt
fresh ground pepper

crusty rustic baguette, cut into 8 diagonal slices, 1/2" thick
1 clove of garlic
good olive oil

Cut the leek vertically down the center to open up the leaves. There is quite a bit of dirt hidden in the leaves. Carefully roll open the leaves and wash thoroughly. Trim, keeping the white + very light green parts only. Slice the leeks lengthwise into thin strips and then horizontally into small 1" pieces. 

Melt 1 tbsp butter in non-stick skillet. When the butter starts to foam, add onions. Cook for a few minutes. Add remaining 1/2 tbsp of butter and add leeks. Season with pepper and a little salt. Saute until soft and about to brown. Remove from heat. Let cool. Puree in food processor. Transfer to small bowl.

Can garnish with fresh thyme. (I didn't have any on hand)

Crostini

Cut baguette diagonally into 8, 1/2" thick slices. Rub garlic on each slice. Drizzle with olive oil. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Pan-fry slices until golden brown. Turn over and toast other side. Pile crostini around the serving bowl. Enjoy!

Serves 2.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, my mouth is watering. Gotta go get leeks tomorrow and make this asap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...