Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wine: iLGHiZZANO Toscana

I've been waiting to have this wine with a good red pasta sauce. I was so hungry that I forgot to try the wine without food. I must say that it was quite excellent with the pasta.

The 2007 iLGHiZZANO Toscana IGT is a Super Tuscan blend of 80% Sangiovese and 20% Merlot. I usually like big earthy Super Tuscans that are blends of Sangiovese and Cabernet and spend some time in French oak. The merlot resulted in a Super Tuscan showing considerably more fruit than earth or tobacco. Not a bad thing (on the contrary the wine was really good), just unexpected.

I found the iLGHiZZANO to be soft and lush in the mouth with plenty of upfront black cherry fruit, spice, and vanilla. It had good bright acidity to pair with the tomato sauce and firm tannins. Full bodied, with a clean finish. For just $18, this is definitely an excellent wine to have with pasta!
Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...