Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wine: Lambert Bridge Viognier

I first tasted this wine at Lambert Bridge winery in Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma. The winery is set amongst beautiful grounds but the actual tasting area is rather sterile and filled with unfriendly staff. Honestly the winery dog greeted us more warmly and with more enthusiasm than any of the staff...

Anyway, back to the tasting. I have limited exposure to Viognier but, from what I have tasted, I find it to generally have high minerality and stone fruits. At Lambert Bridge, I found the presence of oak in the Viognier delightful and purchased a bottle of the 2007 vintage (for $32) thinking it would pair well with spicy food, especially as the weather warms up. We opened the bottle with some Indian food and it was a lovely combination. The crisp wine shows subtle peach and apricot, a hint of minerality, and bright acidity. Pronounced oak gives the wine good weight in the mouth and smooth texture. The finish is long and creamy. I wish the wine showed more fruit but overall it was a pleasant accompaniment to a spicy meal.

Image from Lambert Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...