Saturday, April 3, 2010

Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli


I have been craving broccoli something fierce. You can imagine my delight when I spotted extremely fresh broccoli at the grocery store. I was in the mood for crispy, well-seasoned broccoli so I turned to Ina Garten's fabulous recipe for parmesan-roasted broccoli.

I am now convinced that this is the best way to prepare broccoli. I have a feeling that even my nephew would eat broccoli this way and his favorite food is cheeto. I loved it so much that I will have to make it again tomorrow!

Ina's original recipe calls for pine nuts and fresh basil, but I left those out. Make sure the broccoli florets are thoroughly dried. If there is residual moisture, the florets will NOT get crispy in the oven. And crispy broccoli is what makes this dish so deliciously wonderful.

Roasted Broccoli (Adapted from Ina Garten)
2 lb broccoli florets (thoroughly dried)
2 large cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3.5 tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
3 tbsp parmigiano reggiano, freshly grated

Preheat oven to 425. Place broccoli florets on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 2.5 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle garlic over the florets. Season with salt and pepper. Toss until florets are well coated. Be sure the florets are in a single layer on the baking sheet, otherwise they might steam rather than roast. Roast in oven 20-25 minutes until broccoli are crisp tender and tips are browned like below. I shook the pan to flip the broccoli after about 10 minutes in the oven.


Remove from oven. Transfer to large bowl. Immediately toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and parmigiano reggiano. Serve hot.

Serves 2-3 as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...