Sunday, May 2, 2010

Shiitake and asparagus stir fry


A few months ago we had a delightful plate of asparagus and mushrooms in a chili sauce at Sunda. It was hearty and flavorful. We just loved it. I don't stir fry vegetables very often, but the flavors were so memorable that with the first bite I knew I had to recreate it.

You are probably thinking, really, a recipe for stir-fry? I know, I know, but it turned out so good I just had to share it. I was craving a spicy dish so I sauteed red chili flakes along with ginger and garlic in sesame oil before adding the asparagus and shiitake and of course soy sauce. The key is to toast the sesame oil first. Oh and don't be shy with the ginger and garlic.

The mushrooms soak up the flavors wonderfully in this dish, and I love the crunch of the toasted sesame seeds in every bite. I recommend using thin spears for the stir fry so that they cook quickly and evenly in the skillet.

Asparagus and shiitake mushroom stir fry (Inspired by Sunda)

1/2 lb asparagus, woody stems removed, diced into 1.5" pieces leaving tips long
4 oz shiitake mushroom, sliced 1/2" thick, stems removed
1/2 tbsp seasame oil
1.5 tbsp chopped ginger, about 1.5" piece
1.5 tbsp minced garlic, about 3 large cloves
red chili flakes to taste
1.5 tbsp soy sauce
1.5 tbsp toasted sesame seeds


In a small nonstick skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium heat. Meanwhile, heat sesame oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet until toasted. Add red chili flakes, fry for 1 minute. Add garlic and ginger, fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add asparagus and mushrooms.


Cook until just tender, about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Drizzle with soy sauce, stir until well-coated. Add a pinch of salt if desired. Let cook for another minute or two. Toss with toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...