Saturday, May 1, 2010

Wine: Steltzner Cabernet Franc + Volare

I spent the last month or so camping out with my Mac writing writing writing. It was time to call in the big guns for the final stretch. Of course this meant I had to stay away from perusing my ever-expanding collection of bookmarked recipes and from making long shopping lists for all of the wonderful food I wanted to cook. Sadly, cooking dinner has meant throwing together a quick salad or grilling a bean, cheese, and onion burrito with a side of homemade guacamole.

I have resorted to ordering take out from the usual neighborhood places for the past month. Yes, it does get old. Most of you know that I am a regular at my neighborhood Italian joint. Although I don't usually order delivery from there, I decided to order in the last couple weeks.

I call and order the usual rotolini di melanzane and ravioli a la vodka. About half an hour later, the manager knocks on my door. He decided to deliver my dinner himself because he wasn't sure how often he would get to see me before I left for Boston. I just melted. Sigh, what on earth am I going to do without Volare?

To be fair, the delivery guy from the Indian restaurant around the corner has known me by name for about 3 years (and he knows my usual order of paneer makhani, jaipuri aloo, two tandori roti, no rice). But I already know I will have access to fantastic Indian food in Boston, hello Kashmir! I do realize the North End has wonderful Italian restaurants, but it won't be the same. Maybe I can convince the manager at Volare to ship vodka sauce to me in Boston.

Anyway, I digress... this post was supposed to be about the Steltzner Cab Franc. I bought this wine last April when I visited Steltzner in Napa. During a short study break, we opened it to have with ravioli a la vodka from Volare.

The Steltzner Estate Cabernet Franc 2005 is a big wine with big fruit from the Stags Leap District in Napa. It shows cherry and blackberry fruit, leather, and cedar oak. The wine is velvety, full-bodied with firm tannins. It initially had high alcohol but softened as we decanted it. It is a beautiful wine and a refreshing change from the usual Cabernet Sauvignon from the region. $42 at the winery.


Volare
201 E. Grand Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...