Monday, July 19, 2010

Linguini Fini with Kale and Mascarpone


I imagined this summer to be the ultimate time to relax with a ton of time to do serious cooking.  Instead I have been running around in a frenzy, tying up loose ends at school, attempting to tackle my food-centric things-to-do-in-Chicago-before-I-leave list, spending time with friends, and occasionally thinking about packing and moving. And of course planning my upcoming Europe trip!

One evening I found myself actually home for dinner, so I threw together a dish that turned out pretty delicious. I had a bunch of kale and mascarpone in the fridge, so I thought to myself, "If sautéed spinach in a light cream sauce tastes good over pasta, why wouldn't kale?"

Since kale is tougher than spinach, I boiled kale for a few minutes until it was tender. I tossed the kale with a light mascarpone sauce with sautéed garlic and shallot, added a sprinkle of nutmeg, and served it over spaghetti. It was quick and turned out great. To make the dish healthier, use whole wheat spaghetti.

I am looking for other ways to incorporate more kale into my diet. I will definitely make this pasta dish again. The spicy kale chips have become a regular snack in my house. The problem with the kale chips is that they disappear so quickly!

What is your favorite kale dish?

Linguini Fini with Kale and Marscapone
1/2 lb whole wheat spaghetti
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 bunch of kale, stems and thick ribs removed, leaves chopped coarsely
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1-2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp mascarpone
freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
kosher salt
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper


In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add kale and boil for four minutes, until tender but still bright. Using a slotted spoon, remove kale and drain. Set aside.

In the same pot, bring water to a boil again, add kosher salt, and cook pasta until just before al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and melt butter until foamy over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.

Add boiled kale, stirring frequently. Stir in heavy cream and mascarpone. Season with nutmeg, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for a few minutes to heat thoroughly. Add pasta and stir to coat well. Add 2 tbsp of reserved pasta cooking water to loosen the sauce, if needed. Transfer to serving bowls and top off with parmigiano reggiano. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Kale is such an excellent source of calcium (which I need because my mom has osteoporosis) and I'm always trying to track down new recipes. This looks delicious!
    http://anecdotesandapples.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale is my new love so I'm always on the lookout for kale-centric recipes. This one has pasta so I'm definitely on board! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...