Friday, July 9, 2010

Piazza Pellegrini (San Francisco)


I was in San Francisco recently and met up with my dear friend, Tanvi, who recently moved to SF from Chicago. She took me to her favorite restaurant to get gnocchi: Piazza Pellegrini.

I was secretly hoping she would suggest that we meet there for dinner. You see, after four years of wonderful meals at Italian restaurants all over Chicago, she still claimed that the best gnocchi was in San Francisco.

Everything about the authentic Italian restaurant was charming. Located in North Beach, the Italian part of San Francisco, the hostess and servers spoke to us half in Italian and half in English. It was adorable. Great atmosphere and service was very attentive, even though the place was packed.

We enjoyed a great bottle of the 2005 Ferrari Carano Cabernet Sauvignon with dinner. We shared the insalate pellegrini, an arugula salad with orange and pistachios. And then came the gnocchi. I opted for the light tomato cream sauce instead of the gorgonzola cream sauce with sausage and peas.

It was pretty fantastic. As light and fluffy as pillows, almost melting in your mouth. I was in gnocchi heaven.

I will say that the best gnocchi I have ever had was at Spiaggia, the restaurant not the cafe (forthcoming post), followed by the gnocchi at Thomas Keller's Bouchon. But for a far less expensive meal, the gnocchi at Piazza Pellegrini is definitely at the top of my list. If only I lived in SF...

659 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133
415.397.7355

2 comments:

  1. The gnocchi looks pretty amazing...I don't think you went wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, you and gnocchi! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...