Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Spicy Kale Chips


The first time I heard of kale chips was during a restaurant week dinner at Blackbird, where I had beautiful sweet potato agnolotti with saffron ricotta, crispy kale, and spicy peanuts. This dish just so happened to be the best main course I had during my epic restaurant tour during Chicago's Restaurant Week 2010.

All throughout dinner, my fabulous dinner companion over at { now craving } and I could not stop raving about the incredibly tasty crispy kale. It was salty, crunchy, slightly nutty, and broke into tiny pieces with the first bite. It was terribly addictive and crazy good... words I don't usually use to describe something that is so... healthy.

Little did we know that food bloggers have been discussing the awesomeness that is crispy kale for the past year. It is so easy to make: just toss kale leaves with olive oil and sea salt and bake at 250 for 30 minutes. 

I used curly red kale but suspect any kind would work. As I spicy variation, I decided to toss the kale with olive oil, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, and sea salt before baking. I think olive oil, lemon, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper would also be a nice combination. Or olive oil, cayenne pepper, and chat masala. Mmmm.


Spicy Kale Chips (adapted from Dan Barber at Bon App├ętit)
1 bunch kale (about 1 lb), thoroughly rinsed and dried
1.5 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (use half if prefer less spice)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
sea salt

Preheat oven to 250. Remove stems and ribs and tear kale leaves into large pieces.


In a bowl, toss kale with olive oil, making sure leaves are well coated. Season with cayenne pepper, ground cumin, and salt. Spread leaves in a single layer on a large foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing once or twice, until leaves are crisp. Remove from oven and let cool. Transfer to serving bowl.

These will disappear fast. Quick, make another bunch!

3 comments:

  1. I'm craving these too.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy. I think the key is the cumin - do you agree?

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make these...I've been hearing about them for years now! I'm afraid that once I start, I won't be able to stop...I tend to get a bit obsessive :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...