Friday, July 23, 2010

Wine: Nickel & Nickel Witz End Vineyard

I have yet to taste a Far Niente or Nickel & Nickel wine that I don't love.

The Far Niente Oakville Cabernet is  one of my favorites: elegant, good fruit, spiced oak, and dusty with tight tannins. In 1997 the partners of Far Niente established Nickel & Nickel to focus on producing 100 percent varietal, single-vineyard wines.

 Images from here and here

My first Nickel & Nickel wine was the Copper Streak Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 from the Stags Leap District. We enjoyed it at a BYOB in the Upper West Side in NY, Telepan. It had cassis, dark fruit, and earthiness characteristic of many Napa Cabs with a slight sweetness. It was velvety and supple, with soft tannins. I was blown away by its elegance.

My brother and his wife graciously gave me the Nickel & Nickel Witz End Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 from Rutherford Valley.


The nose was incredible- whiffs of cherry, pepper, and strawberries. The wine is characterized by red cherry, cassis, and dustiness lending its way to spicy but sweet oak. Round and succulent with bright acidity, but not puckering. This is the kind of wine that you will take a sip, smack your lips and say "Wow, this is incredible!" And then you will reach for the bottle wanting every last drop. Dr. G. and I certainly did.

Both Nickel and Nickel wines are $90.

1 comment:

  1. If only I could afford such an amazing bottle of wine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...