Monday, January 31, 2011

Spiced Sweet Potatoes


I don't really like most preparations of sweet potatoes. I find most dishes too sweet or too heavy. Over the holidays we made these spicy, almost curried, oven roasted sweet potatoes. Growing up I would get mad at my mom for always adding Indian spices to non-Indian food and refuse to eat anything that remotely sounded like a "fusion". I would have despised these sweet potatoes as a kid because they are doused in ground coriander, red cayenne pepper, and cinnamon! Now of course I understand the need for balancing and complementing sweet, spice, savory, and acidity flavors in a dish, whether it is ethnic or not. Clearly my mom was ahead of the times with her cooking.

These are now my favorite sweet potatoes! I loved the contrast of the sweet and spicy flavors, a mix of spicy heat and warm heat. They develop a crunch on the outside which is a much appreciated textural contrast from the usual mush.We removed the skin on the sweet potatoes before roasting them. Next time I think I will leave the skin on and slice them lengthwise.

Spiced Sweet Potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 lb), washed
1/4-1/2 tsp red cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tbsp olive oil
salt

Preheat oven to 425. Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges. In a large bowl, toss wedges with olive oil, spices, and salt. Transfer to roasting pan and distribute in a single layer and do not overcrowd. Bake for 40 minutes, until tender, turning over once halfway. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...