Monday, April 18, 2011

Cheddar and Chive Buttermilk Biscuits



After years of controlling my urge to go out and buy one, I finally purchased a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. It is so very beautiful. As can be expected my next mission was to find the inaugural dish for the Kitchen Aid. I poured through my list of recipes bookmarked for when I get my stand mixer, and after much debate, I decided to try something quick- cheddar and chive buttermilk biscuits.

I definitely grew up thinking that biscuits were made out of a box of Bisquick (just like pancakes).  Then I had my first buttermilk biscuit. It was so light and fluffy on the inside, almost melting in my mouth, and crispy on the outside. When I saw this recipe for cheddar (bacon) and chive buttermilk biscuits, I knew these had to be first biscuits I make. They were oh-so-amazing. Perfectly fluffy and so buttery tasting. And they were delicious warmed up the next morning for breakfast.


The recipe makes 12 large biscuits using 1/2 cup drops and it calls for chives, but I think scallions would be really tasty too.  I wasn't sure if we would even be able to finish the half recipe that I made. I am embarrassed to admit that we finished all of them and while doing so, we fought over the biscuits, each accusing the other of taking the better one. And then I made the biscuits again in less than 10 days.


Cheddar and Chive Biscuits (Adapted from Bon Appetit)
3 3/4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus melted butter for brushing
2 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces) (I used Tillamook)
1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
1 3/4 cups chilled buttermilk (I used 1% buttermilk)

Position rack just above center of oven and preheat to 425°F. Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in processor; blend 5 seconds. Add butter cubes. Blend until coarse meal forms, about 30 seconds. Transfer flour mixture to large bowl. Add cheddar cheese, and fresh chives; toss to blend. Gradually add buttermilk, stirring to moisten evenly (batter will feel sticky).

Using lightly floured hands, drop generous 1/2 cup batter for each biscuit onto prepared baking sheet, spacing batter mounds about 2 inches apart.

Bake biscuits until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Brush biscuits lightly with melted butter. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve biscuits warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...