Monday, June 6, 2011

Mushroom and leek frittata


I recently invited a few colleagues came over for Sunday brunch and was a bit nervous about what to serve the food-obsessed group. At the very least, I planned to serve mimosas, my favorite herbed baked eggs with parmesan and oven roasted new potatoes with rosemary and fleur de sel. I had originally planned to also make a french toast brioche bread pudding with orange zest but the group was definitely one that preferred savory dishes to sweet, so instead I opted to make a frittata with woodsy mushrooms, leeks, gruyere, and parmesan.

It was absolutely wonderful and I cannot wait to make it again for the next brunch I host! This is certainly one of those brunch dishes that impresses your guests while being easy to prepare ahead of time. You can make it in a nonstick skillet or any skillet that is ovenproof, or rather broiler proof. Sometimes I use my nonstick skillet and then invert the frittata onto a plate for serving, but this time I opted for a more rustic presentation, served straight from the skillet.

When I make frittatas, I like to use a little trick I learned during a stay at a B&B in Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma: use a blender to whisk the eggs with a little milk. The result is a frittata that puffs up beautifully and is light and fluffy, as opposed to dense. I prefer to mostly cook the frittata on the stovetop and then topping it generously with a layer of parmesan and putting it under the broiler for a few minutes. The layer of parmesan creates a savory golden crust on top that elevates the frittata to a new level. Try it on your next frittata, you will not be disappointed!


Mushroom and leek frittata
2 cups chopped leeks, white and pale green parts only (1 to 1.5 leeks)
6 oz shiitake and oyster mushrooms, stemmed and larger pieces sliced into quarters, others sliced into half, about 1.5 cups sliced
10 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp butter
1 cup gruyere, grated
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat broiler. Melt butter in 10" nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt, saute for 5-6 minutes until tender. In a blender, combine eggs, salt, pepper, and milk and pulse on high for 30 seconds to whisk together. Pour eggs over leeks and mushrooms and sprinkle with shredded gruyere. Fold gently to combine. Cook until almost set. Sprinkle with grated parmesan. Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until cheese is golden. Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Guess WhoJune 06, 2011

    I think you should officially start your weekly plans for hosted dinners or brunches so that we can all benefit from the amazing food you will be serving at your future restaurant...Especially now that I'm in the area and can be your sous chef! I'm already brainstorming on names...haha

    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...