Thursday, July 14, 2011

Zucchini Ribbons


Isn't summer squash just wonderful? It comes in all sorts of shapes, sizes and colors -yellow, dark green, pale green and striped. I just love summer squash and thankfully the season goes well into early fall here in California. I love that the entire squash from skin to flesh to seeds is edible and tasty. Summer squash is rather tender and not as hearty as winter squash so it does not store well, but do not fret, I have a ton of exciting recipes for you to try!

As you may have noticed from previous posts, I love zucchini in the simplest of preparations. I dice it into matchsticks and toss it with lemon and almondspan roast it with onion and thyme and toss it with parmesan (try adding a drizzle of balsamic vinegar-- wonderfulness!), and roast it in the oven with lemon zest and garlic and toss it with toasted pine nuts.

In this preparation I used a vegetable peeler to slice the zucchini so thinly that it doesn't require any cooking! Also, if you shared my frustration with shaving asparagus in the spring, no worries- shaving zucchini is a piece of cake!


I tossed the ribbons with good olive oil, garlic, sea salt, ground pepper, toasted pine nuts, and shaved parmesan. It is a refreshing way to enjoy zucchini and makes for a quite lovely presentation as well.


Zucchini Ribbons
1 lb zucchinis, stems removed
2 tbsp good olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp red chili flakes
2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup basil
kosher salt
pepper
parmesan, shaved using a vegetable peeler


Using a vegetable peeler, go from top to bottom. Discard the first strip and continue thinly slicing the zucchini into long ribbons. In a small bowl, add the lemon juice and whisk in the olive oil. Season the dressing with kosher salt, pepper, and red chili flakes. Just before serving toss the zucchini ribbons with dressing and add pine nuts, basil, and parmesan shavings.

Note: This does not keep well once it is dressed as the zucchini will become limp and start to fall apart. So be sure to dress it just before serving.

5 comments:

  1. My dearest, I think we will need to make a list of all the foods we must cook/eat together when I come. How will we ever be able to fit it all in?? Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband created almost the same recipe except he makes it with pistachios. I never thought he would eat raw zucchini let alone make a salad with it. I can't wait to let him know he was not alone in creating a delicious recipe. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 20, 2011

    You can make even raw zucchini taste amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! Reg- I cannot wait to cook with you! Backroadjournal- I am amazed at how tasty zucchini is in its raw form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making squash ribbons, such a great alternative to a bowl of pasta. I love the salty feta addition!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...