Monday, August 22, 2011

Creamy Celery and Potato Soup


I have to be honest- celery is definitely not a vegetable that I enjoy eating. On a handful of occasions, I tried to snack on celery but found its taste to be too strong for my palate. As you can imagine I was less than enthusiastic about receiving a pound of celery in my CSA box *two* deliveries in a row.

When the first pound of celery arrived, I didn't know what to do it, so I tried snacking on celery sticks slathered with peanut butter. I ate a couple bites and it wasn't too bad (mostly because the ratio of peanut butter to celery was 2:1).  Then I decided to try celery the Mediterranean way and drizzled the stalks with good olive oil and lemon juice to make it less, well, celery-y. The first few bites were actually good but I could only eat so much.

Then the second bunch arrived in my next delivery.  Determined to find a celery-based dish that I could like, I decided to make a creamy celery and potato soup. After all, what could be more comforting than warm soup on those chilly summer nights in San Francisco?

The creamy celery and potato soup was delicate and downright delicious! I was absolutely amazed (of course I had very low expectations to start). The potatoes made the soup utterly creamy and balanced out the otherwise overpowering celery flavors. And the soft celery leaves made a lovely garnish.

Note that the original recipe called for celery root and potatoes, but I used only potatoes to soften the celery flavors.



Creamy celery and potato soup (Adapted from Epicurious)
1 bunch of celery, about 5 cups chopped
2 large russet potatoes, peeled cut into 1.5" pieces
2 medium onions, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled
2 tbsp butter
32 oz low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup heavy cream

fresh celery leaves or parsley for garnish

In a large heavy saucepan heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery, cooking covered until tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in potato, garlic and salt. Add vegetable broth and cover; simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Puree in batches using immersion blender or in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids).

Add cream, bring to simmer. Thin with additional broth as needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. This is an absolute must-try. Looks like perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...