Thursday, November 3, 2011

Fried Green tomatoes


When I got a few green tomatoes in my CSA box, my heart sank a tiny bit because I knew green tomatoes signify the end of tomato season, when the temperature is too cool for tomatoes to ripen on the vine. Then I remembered hearing how folks in Texas used to go nuts over fried green tomatoes when I was growing up. I never had fried green tomatoes before because in the South they are generally fried in bacon fat, which doesn't really fare well for a vegetarian.

In an attempt to make *vegan* fried green tomatoes, I coated the green tomatoes in cornmeal and then pan fried them in olive oil in a nonstick skillet. I served these fried green tomatoes with smokey chipotle salsa, leftover from taco night. They were soo good!

If you prefer to coat the tomatoes in something that resembles a batter rather than loose cornmeal, you could add buttermilk or eggs to the cornmeal, but honestly you don't need it.


Fried Green Tomatoes 
1 lb green tomatoes
1/2 cup cornmeal
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
crushed red pepper, to taste
up to 1/4 cup olive oil

Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices. Add cornmeal to a small bowl and season generously with sea salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Dredge the tomato slices in the cornmeal. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over moderate heat up to 1/8".  Fry tomatoes on each side, about two to three minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. they say frying makes everything better, but it makes green tomatoes much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made three! That means one for each of you and one for me, right?? ;)

    I will totally be making these for A. Thanks for making them vegan!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...