Friday, December 30, 2011

Cranberry, white chocolate, and macadamia nut cookies


I'm not much of a baker and as shocking as it sounds, I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I really only ever make things like this decadent flourless chocolate cake or a heavenly light as a feather vanilla semifreddo or a spring rhubarb crumble with orange zest. And the only other sweets I make are Indian sweets like kheer and burfi for Diwali.  But there is one sweet that I just love love love: a cranberry, white chocolate, and macadamia nut cookies.


When I was in college, I often studied at the student run 24 hour coffeeshop, Coffeehaus, on the third floor of the student center. Once in a while they had these amazing cranberry and white chocolate scones that would sell out instantly. But I was lucky; the guy working the late night shift would save one for me whenever they were delivered.


Years later I started to make these cranberry, white chocolate, and macadamia nut cookies with a little whiskey. There was something oh-so-wonderful about the way the tartness of the cranberry balances the sweetness of the white chocolate and the unexpected crunch of the macadamia nut. They have a wonderful balance of sweet and salty that many cookies lack. And using a little whiskey or brandy gives the cookies a warm, wintery feel.


I usually make a batch of these around the holidays. Recently I brought a batch of these cookies into the office and they disappeared so fast. Everyone who eats them asks me for the recipe!


I baked the cookies on a Silipat which resulted in the most perfect texture, crispy on the outside and dense and chewy on the inside, without the bottom browning. They turned out moist and absolutely wonderful!
Cranberry, white chocolate, and macadamia nut cookies

1/2 cup butter softened, unsalted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp whiskey or brandy
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nut
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease cookie sheet. In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together until smooth. Beat in egg and brandy or whiskey. In a separate bowl, whisky together flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into sugar butter mix. Using a spatula, stir in white chocolate, cranberries, and macadamia nuts. Drop by level tablespoonfuls onto a Silipat lined cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake between 10 to 12 minutes, take out while still doughy. Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum yum. I think of you every time I see these on campus. btw, I love your new header! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot about the white chocolate macadamia cookies at the GSB!! Ah, good memories :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...