Friday, September 7, 2012

Spicy Sweet Potatoes Fries (you won't believe it's baked)

These days, if sweet potatoes appear in my CSA box, I don't even think twice about what to make with them because, according to my other half, the best dish I could possibly make with 2lbs of sweet potatoes is spicy sweet potato fries, over and over again. Whenever I make a batch of these spicy sweet potato fries, I'm lucky if there are any left for me by the time I sit down for dinner!

These sweet potato fries are baked and taste so unbelievably good that you will start to question their healthiness. Usually I shy away from sweet potato fries, as I find them generally lacking in flavor and a bit too sweet for my taste, but these fries are mouth-watering-ly delicious. The layering of spices really offsets the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes.

I make the fries on the spicer side and to offset the heat, I like to serve the fries with a refreshing yogurt mint lime dipping sauce. You can adjust the seasonings to your taste and preferred level of spice!


Other sweet potato recipes you might enjoy include:
Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
  • 1 lb sweet potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp red cayenne pepper
  • sea salt
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
Preheat oven to 425. 

Halve the sweet potatoes and place them cut side down. Slice lengthwise into 1/4" strips, halving longer strips crosswise, and halving wider strips lengthwise. 

In a large bowl, toss sweet potato slices with olive oil. In a small bowl, combine the spices and salt, and then toss with the sweet potato slices. 

Arrange in a single layer in a large baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes on the very bottom rack, flipping fries halfway. 

Serve with yogurt mint lime dipping sauce.

Yogurt mint dipping sauce
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1/4 cup mint, thinly chopped
  • 1/2 lime juiced
  • salt
  • generous pinch of cumin
  • generous pinch of paprika
In a medium bowl, lightly beat the yogurt, then add salt and lime juice and continue to beat until smooth. Stir in cumin, paprika, and mint. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try these! Sweet potato fries are D's favorite!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...