Monday, October 8, 2012

How to Sprout Mung Beans


Sprouted mung is wonderful, healthy, and utterly refreshing. My mother sprouted mung regularly, but I was always weary to try sprouting myself. After staring at full jars of dry whole mung in my pantry, I decided to finally try sprouting mung. It was actually pretty easy and fun!

Day 1: Measure out the amount of mung beans you want to use. Note that if you take 1 cup of dry mung beans it will double in size once sprouted, which means that you will be eating a lot of sprouted mung for 2 weeks. I recommend using 1/3 to 1/2 cup of dry mung beans, unless you are feeding a crowd.  Rinse whole mung beans in cold water. Place in a bowl and add hot water until immersed and covered with at least 1" above water.  Soak overnight or at least 8-12 hours.

Day 2: Drain the water, rinse in cold water, drain again. Place in a cheesecloth, cover the beans with the cheesecloth, and set in a bowl, or use a bamboo steamer if you have one. Set the bowl in a place where it will stay away from direct light and at room temperature.  According to my mother, this means the oven; however, I just place the bowl in the corner on my counter where there is no sunlight.


Day 3: Tiny small sprouts will appear as above.



Day 4-5: Large sprouts will appear, about 1/2" to 1". I don't keep the beans sprouting past Day 5 usually, but you can grow them longer and thicker if you prefer.

Once the sprouts are to your liking, rinse and drain. Sometimes there will be some moong that did not sprout, so take care to pick through and remove any hard beans.




The sprouts will keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. You can use sprouted moong in a salad or you can prepare it my favorite way, Indian-style. Recipe is below the jump.



Sprouted Mung beans
1.5 cup sprouted mung
1 tomato, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, cored and diced or cucumber, about 1 cup
1 small green chili, seeded and minced
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 red cayenne pepper or to taste
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
optional: shredded carrot, shredded jicama, or minced red onion

Mix vegetables with sprouted mung in a large bowl. Toss with lemon juice, ground spices, and fresh cilantro.

2 comments:

  1. You missed the most important part... when you sprout mung you get more protein out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tutorial. Thank you for sharing! I'm eating breakfast...but I'm already hungry for dinner! These would make a great dinner even tastier and healthier. I hope you have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...