Friday, October 19, 2012

Mediterranean stuffed red peppers with bulgur


I typically don't like stuffed peppers. After seemingly endless pounds of peppers all summer long, I've been trying to come up with interesting dishes using peppers. At the start of summer gypsy peppers are a pale light yellow and have a stringent flavor like green bell peppers. Towards the end of summer the peppers become a bright red and are wonderfully sweet and mellow.



I experimented with two stuffed pepper recipes. The first is a Mediterranean inspired stuffed pepper with bulgur, feta, cumin, mint, dill or fennel fronds, and pine nuts.  Most of the flavor in this dish comes from the stuffing, so you can play around with the stuffing to make it as flavorful as you like. 



The result was a very sophisticated, flavorful stuffed roasted pepper. I think I finally found a stuffed pepper than I can love. 


Mediterranean stuffed red peppers with bulgur
4-5 large red gypsy peppers or 2 large red peppers, stemmed, cored, and seeds removed
1/2 cup bulgur
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp crumbled feta
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tbsp fennel fronds, minced
2 tbsp pine nuts
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425.  In a medium bowl, combine bulgur with 1.5 cups of boiling water, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a dry bowl. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and then add red onion, crushsed red pepper, and a big pinch of salt. Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Combine red onions with bulgur, mix in cumin, mint, dill or fennel fronds, feta, and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning as needed, all of you flavor is coming from this stuffing so you want to be packed with flavor.

Lightly oil a baking pan. Stuff each pepper with the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until skin is soft and blistered. The stuffing will come out of the peppers, just push it back in with a spoon. Serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got burned out on stuffed peppers a few years ago, but this looks far more sophisticated than what we use to make. I'll have to give it a shot. Thank you so much for sharing it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you stuff something delicious with something more delicious you get delicious squared:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. just made this recipe and it turned out delicious. I doubled everything to make enough for 4 large red peppers, and I even added some cooked beef. Besides that I followed the recipe to a T and it turned out marvelous. My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed this meal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...